The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case in Lagos State, Nigeria. The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in December 2020.
In view of this, the management of KolaDaisi University, Ibadan today garthered the students and staff of the University to educate them on how to improve and maintain their health, prevent diseases and reduce risky behaviors that could lead to corona virus outbreak.
While giving the opening remark, the Vice Chancellor, Professor Luke Kolade Ayorinde, says the health talk will be in series just as he added that the Health talk will help students and staff to learn skills that will be useful for them in making healthy choices throughout their lifetime.
While delivering the Health Talk, KDU-I Director of Health Services, Dr. Jerry Ayejumon, charged students and staff to be reminded that most people who become infected may experience only mild illness and recover easily, but it can be more severe in others, particularly the elderly and persons with other underlying chronic illnesses.
Dr. Ayejumon also called on all students and staff to take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families, following the precautions below:
- Regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water, and use alcohol-based hand sanitiser.
- Maintain at least 1 & half metres (5 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
- Persons with persistent cough or sneezing should stay home or keep a social distance, but not mix in crowd.
- Make sure you and people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene, meaning cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or into your sleeve at the bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
- Stay home if you feel unwell with symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. Please call NCDC toll free number which is available day and night, for guidance- 0800-970000-10. Do not engage in self-medication
- Stay informed on the latest developments about COVID-19 through official channels on TV and Radio, including the Federal Ministry of Health.